BOSH!Serves 6 | prep 20 mins | total time 50 mins
This is the BOSH! boys’ take on a crowd-pleasing classic. A bechamel sauce makes it creamy and delicious and then we add a rich, salty flavour with roasted mushrooms. This dish is moreish, indulgent and healthy(ish), and makes a great main course or side for a barbecue
- 1 red onion, chopped into 1cm chunks
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into 2.5cm florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 large portobello mushrooms (about 325g), cut into 1cm chunks
- 350g dried macaroni
- 700ml plant-based milk
- 70g dairy-free spread
- 55g plain flour
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 1½ tsp garlic granules
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 40g dairy-free cheddar-style cheese, grated
- 1¼ tsp salt, plus a little extra
- ¾ tsp black pepper, plus a little extra
- 50g panko or other dried breadcrumbs
- salad leaves, to serve (optional)
For the marinade
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- 20ml maple syrup
- 20ml cider vinegar
- 20ml olive oil
Step by step
- Heat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Put the onion and broccoli on a lined baking tray, drizzle with the olive oil and lightly season. Put the tray on the top shelf of the oven.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Add the mushroom pieces and stir to coat. Spread over another lined baking tray and put this on the middle shelf. Cook for a further 15 minutes, or until all the veggies are golden brown. Remove both trays and increase the oven temperature to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7.
- While the veg are roasting, add the macaroni to a pan of boiling salted water and cook until al dente. Drain and tip into a 20cm x 30cm baking dish.
- Meanwhile, warm the plant-based milk in the microwave. Melt the dairy-free spread in a pan over medium heat. Turn the heat right down and add the flour to the pan, stirring until you have a paste. Gradually pour in the warm milk, stirring until you have a thick, creamy sauce. Add the onion granules, garlic granules, mustard, nutritional yeast, dairy-free cheese, salt and pepper. Keep stirring until the sauce thickens to the consistency of custard.
- Add the cooked vegetables and sauce to the pasta and mix together so that everything is well covered. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top, season and put the dish in the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm through and crisp up the breadcrumbs before serving with salad leaves, if you like.