This Orzo Vegetable Soup is a quick and easy one-pot wonder and a delicious way to warm up on a cold day!
Once upon a time I used to think orzo was just “pastified” rice and didn’t see the point.
I clearly had the dumb.
These days I am all about the orzo!
It’s small enough to load up a spoonful with pasta goodness (with no worry of getting slapped in the face with an extra long noodle or having oversized pasta push all the other ingredients off the dang spoon) but just big enough to hold it’s own in soups, salads, and pasta dishes aplenty.
It also makes the most baller adult mac and cheese of my life.
Orzo may actually have taken over as my favorite pasta shape come to think of it. I love it so!
ONE-POT ORZO VEGETABLE SOUP
This scrumptious soup is a small-batch version of Ali’s Italian Orzo Spinach Soup on Gimme Some Oven that I tweaked based on the ingredients I had handy! The original recipe makes a LOT of soup but with Paul spending more and more time in Texas lately I don’t quite need a boatload of soup to slurp by myself.
Three or four bowls to reheat for lunches and dinners throughout the week are perfect, and pairs great with cold sandwiches, melty grilled cheese, and even leftover chicken which makes a marvelous mix in!
I’ve also started doing this thing where I pair a cup hearty veggie soup with a loaded baked potato on the side and it’s pretty much the dinner of my dreams lately! DELICIOUS!
Ready for the recipe? Let’s do this!
One-Pot Orzo Vegetable Soup
This Orzo Vegetable Soup is a quick and easy one-pot wonder and a delicious way to warm up on a cold day!COURSE SOUPCUISINE AMERICAN, ITALIANKEYWORD ORZO VEGETABLE SOUPPREP TIME 10 MINUTESCOOK TIME 25 MINUTESTOTAL TIME 35 MINUTESSERVINGS4 SERVINGSCALORIES 159 KCALAUTHOR JENN LAUGHLIN – PEAS AND CRAYONS
- 1 TBSP olive oil, avocado oil, or butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 cup canned diced or crushed tomatoes
- 1/2-3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- salt and black pepper to taste
TASTY TOPPINGS: CHOOSE YOUR FAVORITES
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese (SO GOOD!)
- crushed red pepper flakes
- garlic roasted chickpeas (one of my favorite soup toppers)
- garlic bread croutons
- fresh parsley
- fresh torn basil
- Heat 1 TBSP oil or butter in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté until tender, approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock, tomatoes, orzo, thyme, oregano, rosemary and stir to combine. Bring soup to a simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is al dente and the vegetables are tender.
- Ready to eat? Stir in the spinach at the last minute and stir into the hot soup to wilt the greens. Give it a taste and season with salt and black pepper as desired. Add your favorite toppings and dive in while it’s hot!
Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven. Nutrition Facts below are estimated using an online recipe nutrition calculator. Adjust as needed and enjoy!
Vegetarian? Be sure to use vegetable stock and you’re good to go!
T-Rex? You can absolute add some browned Italian sausage (sliced or crumbled) or shredded rotisserie chicken to this soup!